Breakthrough Technology Offers 58 Percent Energy Savings
Tipp City, Ohio – A. O. Smith Electrical Products Company has introduced five new Green Choice® high efficiency two-speed pool and spa motors. This new line of E-Plus® New Centurion® high efficiency two-speed pool and spa motors feature an energy-efficient permanent split capacitor (PSC) high speed and an energy-efficient capacitor start/capacitor run (CSCR) low speed.
Until now, two-speed pool pump motors were only available with an energy-efficient high speed and a standard efficient low speed.
The E-Plus New Centurion offers increased energy savings of up to 20 percent over regular two-speed motors. When replacing a single-speed motor with an E-Plus New Centurion two-speed motor, total savings may achieve up to 58 percent.
The reasons the E-Plus New Centurion two-speed motors are capable of offering such significant savings are:
• First, a run capacitor used on both high and low speeds improves electromagnetic balance, increasing the power factor and watts efficiency, resulting in lower amps and lower operating costs.
• Second, the amount of horsepower required to move water through a pipe drops much more quickly than the speed. While it may take one horsepower to move the water through those pipes on high speed it just takes 1/8 horsepower to move half as much water through the pipes on low speed. Even though running on low speed may take twice as long to pump the same amount of water as high speed, the lower horsepower results in significant energy savings.
Additional E-Plus two-speed advantages:
• The motor and pump will run much quieter;
• The motor will use less electricity;
• Pool water will circulate through the filter more hours per day;
• The motor will run cooler, extending insulation life;
• The motor and pump will work more efficiently for most filter types; and
• The motors are capable of saving as much as 58-percent in pumping energy costs.
The E-Plus New Centurion two-speed motors are California (Title 20) compliant, which went into effect in 2008 and prohibits the use of single-speed pool motors.
A. O. Smith’s Green Choice brand of motors will significantly reduce consumers’
environmental impact by using eco-friendly electric motors that reduce energy consumption and energy costs. To learn more about these environmentally friendly motors, visit www.aosmithmotors.com to download bulletin #2949, “E-Plus High Efficiency Two-Speed Motors”.
A. O. Smith Electrical Products Company, based in Tipp City, Ohio, manufactures a comprehensive line of fractional horsepower A/C and D/C, hermetic, and integral horsepower electric motors used in a wide array of consumer, commercial, and industrial products.